What to do in case of a high blood pressure
- First of all, to eliminate a false high blood pressure
6.2 - To eliminate
an obvious cause responsible for a high blood pressure
- To start a treatment without drug: life style modifications
- According to the circumstances, to treat by using drugs
- Anti-hypertensive therapy
- Why does the doctor prescribe a given anti-hypertensive drug and not
another? The choice of the first treatment.
eliminate an obvious cause of high blood pressure
If a high blood pressure is actually found on several occasions (on 3 occasions
with an interval of one week for instance), the physician must first look for
obvious causes of high blood pressure in order not to treat his patient unnecessarily.
These causes are:
- The excessive consumption
of alcohol and/or liquorice and/or caffeine;
consumption of cocaine;
use of drugs such as: the contraceptive pill, anti-inflammatory
drugs, cortisone, nasal decongestants, appetite suppressants,
adrenal steroids, cyclosporine, cholestyramine, erythropoietin,
licorice (chewing tobacco), antidepressants.
last reviewed on : 18 dec 2011