What to do in case of a high blood pressure
6.1 - First
of all, to eliminate a false high blood pressure
- To eliminate an obvious cause responsible for a high blood pressure
- To start a treatment without drug: life style modifications
- According to the circumstances, to treat by using drugs
- Anti-hypertensive therapy
- Why does the doctor prescribe a given anti-hypertensive drug and
not another? The choice of the first treatment.
- First of all, to eliminate a false high blood pressure
Indeed, certain people get a false high blood pressure for several reasons:
the size of the cuff, which could be too small compared to the circumference
of the arm, or the conditions of measurement of the blood pressure are not
good (period of stress, absence of rest before the measurement of arterial
Under these conditions, a
more precise evaluation of the blood pressure is necessary, by practicing
for instance an ambulatory blood pressure monitoring for 24 hours.
The absence of a high blood pressure during this examination, whereas
there is a high blood pressure during the measurement in the physicians
office, defines an arterial hypertension called " white-coat hypertension ".
This one does not require any treatment and is often met in stressed
subjects, usually young.
last reviewed on : 18 dec 2011